Monday, December 12, 2011

How should I go about meeting other girls?

A little bit of information about me so that you can understand my problem:



- I am a fourteen year old girl who has recently come to the conclusion that she is bisexual.

- I go to an all-girls' school, where anyone who comes out is shunned for the rest of their school years because of an extremely homophobic environment: I am not planning on coming out to anybody in my school.

- I'm not going to disclose where I live, but I do not know of any LGBT centres or similar places where I can go to talk to and meet other people in a similar situation to me.



Of course my attraction isn't helped by the fact that I am constantly surrounded by girls, but I know that I'm just going to have to turn a blind eye towards the straight girls that I find myself attracted to... but I feel uncomfortable with my recently discovered sexuality and I believe that a relationship or at least a kiss with another girl will help to boost my confidence and make me feel more comfortable with myself.



Taking all of that information into account, how should I go about meeting other girls and maybe even starting relationships with them?How should I go about meeting other girls?
Honest answer: it's tough to come out in a co-ed public school, but it's going to be even thougher in your situation. Since the school year is nearly over [at least in the US], maybe this would be a good time to talk to your parents about going somewhere else next fall.



I guess what it boils down to is that you'd like to date, but don't want anyone at school to know about it. At 14, that is going to be very difficult.



I hear you on the confidence thing: a little validation of that sort can do wonders for our self esteem, at least in the short term. The problem is that it's dangerous to get our self esteem from other people: if they give it, they can take it. That can turn us into attention addicts and make it even harder to stand on our own two feet.



Like a lot of people your age with same sex attractions, I think you are going to need some patience. The right time and person will come along someday, in the meantime work on other aspects of your life and your psychology, concentrate on becoming the kind of person you'd like for a friend, and keep your eyes and ears open for that special someone...

No comments:

Post a Comment